Hydrogels are helping us heal faster
Wondering how texture analysis can benefit your team?
Hydrogels have many interesting applications but one of the most interesting is how they help heal the human body. Their high water content means that they closely resembles natural tissue.
This makes them ideal for a variety of wound care and healing applications. They further aid in healing by creating a warm and moist environment for faster wound healing as well as deliver medication to fight infection and relieve pain. We’re excited that our texture analyzers are part of the action helping researchers test various physical properties of hydrogels. Here’s just a few ways that hydrogels are helping us heal faster and feel better:
- As soft tissue “space savers” to help during bone grafts for reconstruction and faster healing of jaws, teeth, ears, noses, and other parts of the face.
- As scab-like medicated wound cavity gel fillers.
- As non-toxic, biocompatible, and biodegradable films, bandages, and other wound dressings.
- Mechanical, bioadhesive strength and biological evaluations of Chitosan films for wound dressings
- Carbopol Hydrogels for topical administration: Treatment of wounds
- As distal thumb bone phalanxes to help thumb amputees regain some thumb bone material.
Find out more about testing hydrogels and other gels on our Gel Industry page.